Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pattern Review - Jalie Jeans #2908



My finished product (photos lightened to show details better):




Pattern Description: Women's stretch jeans, slim fit through the hips and thigh with flared leg, back and side front pockets, zip fly with button closure. View A has low rise (2-3 inches below navel) and view B has a regular rise (at navel).

Pattern Sizing: This pattern comes in 27 sizes F - FF for girls age 2 up to a womens 52 inch hip ~ I made a size S in the lower rise version.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Absolutely!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Absolutely! Jalie *always* has excellent instructions that give you RTW results.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Seriously, what is not to like about this pattern? Sorry to bore you all with another review, but I'm so happy with my jeans I just had to show them off! This is the best jeans pattern (IMO) that replicates RTW. If you want to make jeans at all, definitely give this one a try. I also like the huge range of sizes, however my DD is not at all interested in me sewing for her so I'm not sure if I'll use any other size than my own. I also love the cut of the leg. Bootcut is such a flattering style for just about anyone and this one does not disappoint.

Fabric Used: Stretch Denim from Joann's 98% cotton/2% spandex. This wasn't the suggested fabric on the pattern package, but my RTW jeans are all 99% cotton/1% spandex and I really like that type of denim best. I used a fun quilting cotton to line the pockets.

Notions used: I used Gutermann topstitching thread in a gold color to mimic the typical jeans topstitching, standard non-metal zipper, one button, and Palmer/Pletsch tailor interfacing for my waistband and light interfacing for the front fly zipper.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I added a few inches to the length (I can't remember how much because I traced off the pattern several months ago). During construction I had to follow Emilie's gaposis fix for alter the back yoke and waistband for my swayback. I ended up taking out 3/4" in the yoke and then a 3/4" wedge in the waistband. It could still be a bit snugger, so I will work on tweaking the fit a little more.

I also cut the waistband on the cross grain instead of on the bias. I made my first pair back in Sept on the bias (and in a size bigger) and didn't see the reason for that except it wasted fabric. This time I cut it on the cross grain and interfaced for added stability and I liked the end result much better.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will definitely be sewing these again and again. I made a size "T" back in Sept and really like them, but they are a bit too big for me. I finally got around to making another pair in a size "S" and the fit is much better for me, but I think I have a smidge of tweaking still. After that, I'll have a perfect jeans pattern for me and will be able to whip out a new pair any time I want to!

Yes, I definitely recommend this pattern!

Conclusion: Seriously, I finally have pants/jeans I'm proud to wear outside of my house - thank you Jalie!!!!!!!!!

24 comments:

Amber Red said...

you made those! that is awesome! thanks for entering the contest ;) FYI You have multiple ways of enter too.

Birgitte said...

Those look awesome on you Melissa- fantastic job!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I am in total amazement that you made a pair of jeans. The fact that they look terrific is icing on the cake. YOU ARE AWESOME. I'm struggling with a Simplicity pattern for a Little Red Riding hood cape. Lord have mercy!

Tempest Ahoy said...

They look unbelievable! Good job. I would never know you had made them.

Lori said...

I just read your review, these are so fantastic. Great job.

Sew Shy said...

They look really great!

Christina said...

Va-va-va-voom! Love those!

gwensews said...

Looks like those jeans are a perfect fit. Nice sewing!

BConky said...

Wow, they look just like RTW only they fit you. I bought this pattern to make for my daughter who is 5' 10" and then Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic started carrying true talls (not just added length) so put pattern on back burner. Seeing your results makes me think I should make her a pair. They look so good on you.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Those are so great! I love the higher cut front yoke pocket and the fit is awesome! You are really tempting me into this pattern, but I don't know that jeans are the place to start with pants.

ms Givens said...

Very impressive!

Amy M in Indiana said...

Oh, these are awesome! Great, now I need this pattern!

Victoria said...

Your jeans look awesome and so RTW!!! You did a really good job. Thanks for all your tips. I have this pattern on my cutting table and plan to make it out of corduroy soon. I can't wait. Congrats again on making great looking jeans!!!

Rena said...

Look at you in all your hot-ness:-) Those are some fabulous looking jeans. Might have to try those.

Kathi Rank said...

Great job on your jeans, I agree that the Jalie jeans pattern is the best! Hang onto those pants that aren't a perfect fit - they make great paints for dirty household jobs and painting.....I know because it took me 3 trys to get a perfect fit with that pattern.

amber said...

These look great on you!

Anonymous said...

Smokin' hot! You rock, seriously...I'm not kidding this time! Kim

Kathy@theshebearofeleven said...

I am impressed! I would think jeans would be one of the most challenging to make and you sure did a great job!

Dawn said...

Isn't it a GREAT pattern???!?!?! Your version looks fantastic!

Jessica said...

Melissa, PR won't let me reply to my PMs, thanks for writing! I really want to try these ;o)

ps Have been feeling much better, thank you!

Jenny said...

Super awesome fabulous jeans!! Every time I see another awesome pair of jeans made with this pattern, I really think I need to buy it.

Leslie said...

wow - those look absolutely fabulous! Amazing job!!!

Erica said...

They look great! I just bought the Vogue 8774 jean pattern, but now thinking I may go back for the Jalie jean pattern instead!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.