Saturday, September 08, 2007

Don't grocery shop when you're hungry!

That is pretty much common sense right? Apparently I *forgot* yesterday and the result was more money spent than I had planned and my kitchen overflowing with yummy treats!

So while grocery shopping yesterday everything was looking absolutely divine. I saw beautiful green Granny Smith apples and immediately thought "oh an Apple Pie sounds yummy" so I bought those, then I walked down the cookie & cracker aisle to get some crackers and saw the fudge striped cookies and thought "oh Mandarin Cookie Salad would be great with dinner tonight" so all those ingredients went into the cart too. Then on the baking aisle I saw dried Craisins and remembered the Oatmeal Bar recipe my friend had given me (thanks Leslie) and had to get those too. So upon returning home from the store I unpacked my groceries and made an Apple Pie, Mandarin Cookie Salad, and Oatmeal Bars - what a nerd, huh?

I thought I'd share a few more recipes with you - after all I want to be Susie Homemaker and she surely cooks and bakes, right?

Mandarin Cookie Salad

2 cups buttermilk
1 - 5.1 oz pkg vanilla instant pudding mix
1 - 12 oz tub Cool Whip, thawed
2 - 11 oz cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 - 11.5 oz pkg fudge striped shortbread cookies, coarsely chopped

Whisk buttermilk and pudding mix for 2 minutes, then let stand 2 minutes or until soft set. Fold in Cool Whip and oranges. Cover and chill until serving. Fold in cookies when ready to serve ~ enjoy!

Oatmeal Bars

1/2 cup brown sugar
8 oz vanilla yogurt
2 egg whites
2 Tbs canola oil
2 Tbs milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour (can use 1/2 whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups oats
1 cup dried fruit and nuts

Mix together all ingredients and spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Cool and cut into bars - enjoy!

I'd share my Apple Pie recipe, but I'm sure everyone has their own favorite and they are all pretty similar anyway. Now go and make yourself some goodies!

1 comment:

Master English said...

Great reading your bloog post