Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!


My family makes a good effort to take care of our planet. We recycle, don't make unnecessary trips to town, turn the water off while brushing our teeth, heck I even cloth diapered my last two in hopes to eliminate diapers going into the landfill (and no it's not *that* gross people, poop is poop, you're dealing with it regardless of how you diaper your babies).

I was flipping through some magazines in my stack last weekend and I found a few stats on garbage courtesy of January 2008 RedBook Magazine (page 31 if you're interested).

*4.4 lbs - the average amount of waste generated per person per day in the US as of 2001

*50% of the world's garbage is produced by the US and we're only 6% of the world's population

*1896 - the year America's first recycling center opened its doors

In my efforts to celebrate Earth Day, I repurposed three t-shirts and made them into t-shirts for my boys. Two were freebie ones that weren't hubby's size and the other was a holy shirt headed to the rag bag. I am happy with the outcome and the boys are too!



Besides my recycle project, I've been working on pj's for my two nephews (a request from my sister), another pair of jeans for my oldest son, a few things for my daughter's summer wardrobe - all boring things. I have honestly not been much in the spirit of doing any of the projects, but I'm trying to get my "to do" list whittled down so that I can get on to some things for me. I took 6 huge bags of clothing to the local donation center yesterday so I feel like my closet is rather bare. And part of my slump might be the darn Pacific NW weather - it's been anything but sunny. We've got rain, hail, and even snow lately - it's rather depressing actually.

In closing, I'd like to thank you all for your sweet compliments on the Hamburger Cake - you're all so darn sweet and I appreciate all your wonderful comments you took the time to post!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those shirts! I especially like how you added the contrasting necklines - it really makes the designs pop!

Christina said...

Great t-shirts! I too have some like that in a pile somewhere, waiting for my crafty makeover..

laura said...

I used cloth diapers on one of my daughters too!(She's 21 now!) I used a pattern and sewed velcro on for the closure. The only bad thing was that the velcro didn't like being bleached. I also used those blue liners that made 'messy' diapers a lot easier to cope with!

Anonymous said...

What excellent creations from those tshirts! I wish I could part with some of mine for the sake of my children, but not until they have holes int hem!

I hope you feel better son.