Thursday, July 12, 2007

Swimsuit not going so well...

Well the bottoms have been done for a week now, but the top just isn't going too well. The first run of the top was done "as is" per the pattern instructions and I could not get the darts to be curved and nice. Instead I had a nice pointy Madonna cone boob! LOL

For try number two, I decided to cut the bust piece without the dart and gather it instead. My plan was to insert bra cups to help add a little oomph to my chest. I picked up some padded/gel filled sew-in swimsuit bra cups at Joann's. Well my end result was ridiculous looking boobs way out to the side! ROFL On to try number three ~ third time is the charm right????

Top number three is complete and per the advice of someone more experienced with swimsuit sewing, she suggested I just use removable cups and insert them between the lining. That way I could just use the same pair for multiple suits. Brilliant! I checked my RTW suits and had one that was designed this way so I figured this would be perfect. Well I got the top all done and it's HUGE in the chest!!! There is no way I can even be an "A" cup - I have to be negative (is there such a thing??? LOL). So I grabbed this dumb silicone bra inserts I bought at Joann's a while ago when the notions wall was half off and slipped them in between the lining and the fashion fabric. The pads definitely make it look better and fill out the cups, but I'm still not too sure. I'm to the "three strikes you're out" theory now and am thinking I'll just ditch this top. It's clearly made for someone with some boobs and that is something I just don't have without the help of my fantastic Victoria's Secret bras.

So on that note, I'm looking at picking up Kwik Sew 3063 ~ I emailed the reviewer and she said this top is great for flat chested gals since the gathers camouflage the fact. I'm pondering just running out and grabbing it now. I know I could get it online for cheaper than full price at my local independent sewing store, but part of me feels it's my duty to support the local business people, plus it's instant gratification (I really want to get a swimsuit top made pronto), I can get more 3/8" elastic and swimsuit lining, oh and maybe I should grab a take & bake pizza while I'm out too since DH is working late tonight. Thoughts to ponder.... LOL!

I will post pictures when I have some I'm willing to share, I'm a little leery about the fit of this suit right now. Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully good results will follow soon.

6 comments:

stacy said...

Have you tried the Jalie one yet? I have 2 of their swimsuit patterns and have been pretty pleased with how they turned out (I had a pointy Madonna one from Kwik Sew too).

I added inserts in mine, but I love the idea of making them removable so you can use them in multiple suits. I'm going to have to remember that tip!

Melissa said...

I actually was looking at the Jalie selection earlier today and really like #2447 ~ it's similar to two others RTW suits I have. I might have to pick that up ~ glad to hear that you liked them. I remember reading a review you wrote about the bikini. I also like that the same pattern will fit both my daughter and me. Thanks for the info Stacy! :-)

Mary said...

You are a far braver soul than I! I'm still putting sewing for me at the bottom of the list, never mind such advance elements like swimsuits. (Although I do have a length of Oilily fabric that would be perfect for one.)

Lori said...

I think the halter top would be a good choice. That is a cute bathing suit, good luck.

squilts said...

Melissa - just a thought, try moving the gathers more toward the CF to keep from having "armpit boobs". I have both the KS patterns you mention and just wanted to point out that 3063 looks to have a lot more fabric around the neck.

Melissa said...

Thank you all for your encouragement - this has been a tricky project for me, but I will prevail until I get something wearable to the beach. I'll keep you all posted! :-)