Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Simplicity 3503

One of my summer projects (after splurging for a few more yard of fabric at fabric.com - read after I sewed a few things I bought a dozen yards!), was Simplicity 3503. There are now 75 reviews on Pattern Review for this dress and I can see why. I've had it in my stash for a super long time and can't believe it's taken this long for me to sew it up. It's super cute and super simple to sew. Oh and it's beyond comfy to wear, yet looks a lot classier than sweatpants. And really, how can 75 ladies be wrong about a pattern? Isn't that the beauty of PatternReview?

Here is my review on this particular pattern:

Pattern Description: Designer's Inspirations evening and day knit dress in two lengths with bodice variations.

Pattern Sizing: 6-22, I made a size 8

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty much, tho I like mine much better.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very simple and straight forward.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? With 74 reviews (mine makes 75) and seeing Eugenia's many fabulous versions of this pattern, I just had to make it (doesn't she make such gorgeous garments?).

Fabric Used: An ITY border print from Fabric.com

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I made no changes, just planned out my dress with the border print. I do wish I would have used black for the contrast band at the waist, however I don't wish it bad enough to rip the dress apart to change it.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I made this dress nearly two months ago and was finally able to wear this yesterday to church because some cold, rainy weather came to visit us. I was so comfy, I ended up wearing it the entire day and really love it. I will probably make another dress with this pattern and would definitely recommend it (tho who needs my recommending it when there are lots of other gorgeous versions to get inspired with in the PR reviews).

Conclusion: Cute dress that is border fabric friendly (I used 1.5 yds with VERY careful placement) plus plain black poly/lycra jersey from my stash for the neck contrast. Fast to sew, tho I found the neckline inside facing to be a bit fussy and required me to hand sew it.

So how about you, have you made this dress yet? If so, do you love it at much as I love mine?

4 comments:

BConky said...

Cute dress. Love the way you used the print.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Looks great on you! I never thought of using the sleeves for this pattern as it seems a summer dress to me, but you are opening up a whole new world of seasons for it.

mermaids said...

I have that same fabric! Your dress is adorable. Wish that pattern came in my size so we could match. ;)

KarenP said...

Very cute! Great use of the border print.