Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pattern Review - La Mia Boutique Cardigan

Pattern Review ~ La Mia Boutique Caridgan from 2/2010 issue #29



Pattern Description: Double ruffled collar ladies cardigan

Pattern Sizing: Italian sizes 40-46 - I made a 40, but my m'ments say I'm a 38 for tops. It's a little oversized, but for a cardigan I think that is okay, especially if you plan to wear something a little thicker under it. I might size it down to a 38 next time and see what I think. Also the fabric I used was a rayon/lycra jersey which is more drapy and relaxed than a cotton/lycra jersey so that will make a bit of a difference on the look you get.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty much, they look like they used more of a sweater knit.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Well I followed Lynn's Instructions on Pattern Review so yes! I bought the March 2010 issue of Ma Boutique which is the French reprint of the Italian La Mia Boutique February 2010 issue. I don't read or speak either French of Italian so I would have have to muddle my way through if Lynn hadn't posted her instructions. If you've been sewing for any length of time I think you'd probably have no problems figuring it out on your own. I appreciated Lynn's efforts so I printed it out and read it before I started - thanks Lynn!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It's such a cute and unique cardigan - what's not to love and since I'm always cold, I'm sure I'll wear it often!

Fabric Used: I used matching rayon/lycra jersey and cotton/poly ribbing both from Joann's

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I omitted the button because I didn't anticpate ever using it. Also, I did make an error when ruffling and had to redo the lower ruffle which ended up shaving off a bit more than it should. It's not bad, but the under layer should stick out a bit more. Also my top layer of lettucing isn't as lettuce-y as it should be but I'm hoping the washer will fix that. This was my first go round and I'm very pleased with the outcome even tho it's far from perfect.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I'm sure I'll be sewing this again. It's a little tricky to find matching ribbing and knit, but Joann's actually had a decent selection when I went looking last week. I love purple, so it worked out perfect for me.

I'd definitely recommend trying the cardi if you have this issue in your collection.

Conclusion: Really cute cardi, I'm so glad this was brought to my attention on the PR message board. :-)

9 comments:

Lori said...

Very cute cardigan.

KID, MD said...

Very pretty. The lettuce edging is a nice touch and the color is lovely on you.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

You are amazing. I've told you that before, but really!!! You are!!! That cardigan and the dress are gorgeous! Do you live in Colorado? Do you give lessons? ;)

inadvertent farmer said...

Darling...do you live in Washington? Maybe a lesson here? Maybe zippers perhaps? KIm

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Love that rich purple! The double ruffles are so cute.

Sigrid said...

What a great pattern, you made a wonderful cardigan.

Nancy Winningham said...

This is really pretty. Nice job.

Tiffanee said...

That is adorable! I love the color and you look gorgeous in it!! I love to sew, just need to make it a priority. Now following!! Can't wait to see what is next!!

wiredlinda said...

I think it looks perfect on you the way it is. I think smaller would be a little to snug. I love your blog!!!!